Top News

Senator predicts court challenge for Winnipeg detox centre

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 1:39 PM CST

A Canadian senator believes Manitoba’s detox centre in South Point Douglas — which she likened to a jail — will end up subject to a Charter challenge in the courts.

Ontario Sen. Kim Pate, who has advocated for decades on behalf of prisoners, compared the centre’s suites to the solitary confinement cells in the Canadian prisons she has visited over the years.

The detox centre, capable of holding people intoxicated on meth and other long-lasting drugs for up to 72 hours under new legislation, is expected to open soon at 190 Disraeli Fwy.

She said the province appears to be using mental health legislation to enact a criminal response to people high on drugs.

Staff shortage forces province to reduce traffic court, ticket-payment hours in Winnipeg

Erik Pindera 3 minute read Preview

Staff shortage forces province to reduce traffic court, ticket-payment hours in Winnipeg

Erik Pindera 3 minute read 10:26 AM CST

The Manitoba government quietly began closing the Winnipeg provincial offences court office early three days a week in mid-October, in a temporary measure tied to staffing shortages.

The office at 373 Broadway, where traffic tickets are paid and where provincial offence hearings are held, began closing at 3 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday on Oct. 13. The reduction in hours is expected to remain in place until early 2026.

The office remains open until 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

A provincial government spokesman said the office is not at a full staff complement, but added there is an active recruiting effort underway to fill vacancies.

Read
10:26 AM CST

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES

Traffic ticket volumes have increased, but there are staff shortages at the provincial offences court office.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Traffic ticket volumes have increased, but there are staff shortages at the provincial offences court office.

UNAIDS chief urges Carney not to cut foreign aid, global health funding

Dylan Robertson, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

UNAIDS chief urges Carney not to cut foreign aid, global health funding

Dylan Robertson, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 9:20 AM CST

OTTAWA - The head of the United Nations' HIV/AIDS program is urging Prime Minister Mark Carney to reverse his government's planned cuts to foreign aid and global health funding.

"My message to Prime Minister Carney, to Canada, and to all the other donors is, stay the course," UNAIDS executive director Winnie Byanyima told The Canadian Press on the sidelines of last week's G20 leaders' summit in Johannesburg.

"Without global solidarity, the inequality between countries will continue to widen. We will live in a more dangerous world as these inequalities increase."

Last week, Carney announced Canada's first-ever cut to funding for the Global Fund, a major program for fighting infectious diseases in the world's poorest countries.

Read
Updated: 9:20 AM CST

Executive Director of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS Winnie Byanyima rises as she is recognized by the Speaker of the House of Commons following Question Period, on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Monday, Sept. 15, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

Executive Director of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS Winnie Byanyima rises as she is recognized by the Speaker of the House of Commons following Question Period, on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Monday, Sept. 15, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

A Manitoba man who turned himself in to police after his partner learned he had been sexually abusing their daughters has been sentenced to more than a decade in prison.

The man, whose name cannot be published owing to a publication ban, pleaded guilty in provincial court to sexual assault and sexual interference for his years of abuse of his daughter and stepdaughter.

Provincial court Judge Denis Guénette recently sentenced the man, who’s in his mid-40s, to 12 years in prison.

Guénette outlined the man’s sexual abuse — committed from 2013 through the end of 2019 against his daughter and from 2019 through late 2023 against his stepdaughter — in a Nov. 19 written decision.

More heartbreak for Dunstone

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Preview

More heartbreak for Dunstone

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Yesterday at 10:25 PM CST

HALIFAX — It’s turning into a recurring nightmare for Matt Dunstone.

Make the final, lose in heartbreaking fashion, shed tears.

It happened at the 2023 Brier, again at 2025 nationals, and once more on Saturday in Halifax in the Canadian Curling Trials final.

Brad Jacobs outlasted the 30-year-old skip from Winnipeg 6-5 to sweep the best-of-three series to earn the right to wear the maple leaf at the 2026 Winter Olympics in Italy.

Read
Yesterday at 10:25 PM CST

DARREN CALABRESE / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Team Dunstone skip Matt Dunstone acknowledges the crowd after losing to Team Jacobs in the Canadian Olympic curling trials final in Halifax on Saturday.

DARREN CALABRESE / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Team Dunstone skip Matt Dunstone acknowledges the crowd after losing to Team Jacobs in the Canadian Olympic curling trials final in Halifax on Saturday.

Manitoba conservation officers, tasked with border duties, haven’t seen much

Steve Lambert, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

Manitoba conservation officers, tasked with border duties, haven’t seen much

Steve Lambert, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:15 AM CST

WINNIPEG - It's been 11 months since Manitoba started using conservation officers as extra sets of eyes on the United States border in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's claims that migrants and drug-smugglers were pouring in from Canada.

And it turns out they haven't seen much at all.

"To my knowledge, there was actually no activity that they observed," Ian Bushie, Manitoba's natural resources minister, said in an interview.

Kyle Ross, head of the Manitoba Government and General Employees Union, which represents conservation officers, said he hadn't heard of any incidents either.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:15 AM CST

A border marker is shown just outside of Emerson, Man. on Thursday, January 20, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods

A border marker is shown just outside of Emerson, Man. on Thursday, January 20, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods

Opinion

See More

For the Jets that’s ‘one in a row’

Mike McIntyre 8 minute read Preview

For the Jets that’s ‘one in a row’

Mike McIntyre 8 minute read Yesterday at 10:31 PM CST

NASHVILLE — There were no victory laps being taken inside the Winnipeg Jets locker room Saturday night. No fist pumps, chest bumps or bold claims that everything was suddenly fixed. In fact, a casual observer might have had no idea, based on the subdued reaction, whether the hockey team won or lost.

But make no mistake: A 5-2 victory over the Nashville Predators inside Bridgestone Arena was just what the doctor ordered for a wounded group that desperately needed to stop the bleeding.

“It’s one. It’s one. We wanted to win one in a row. So that’s the first one,” head coach Scott Arniel told the Free Press.

Baby steps, for sure. But at least they are in the right direction. The Jets limped into the game having lost a season-high four games in a row, and eight of the last 11, to plummet down the NHL standings. A regulation defeat against the Predators — who currently occupy the league’s basement — would have left only two points separating them.

Read
Yesterday at 10:31 PM CST

Stealing thieves’ thunder: private security has made theft at Steinbach job sites disappear

Kevin Rollason 5 minute read Preview

Stealing thieves’ thunder: private security has made theft at Steinbach job sites disappear

Kevin Rollason 5 minute read Yesterday at 3:40 PM CST

Thieves who stole copper wiring, construction tools — even 37 bundles of shingles off a two-storey roof — have sparked the City of Steinbach to hire private security to fight back.

Waldo Neustaedter, a local developer, said the number of thefts from his job sites and others, leaving thousands of dollars in damage in their wake, have dropped dramatically since the city began a security service pilot project in July.

“It has just been a night and day difference having this protection,” Neustaedter said.

“It was tough in the spring. It may seem like petty theft, when you get $15 for copper wiring, but it costs us thousands in damages. You want to keep the cost of building down so houses are more affordable to buyers, but then this happened.”

Read
Yesterday at 3:40 PM CST

SVJETLANA MLINAREVIC / THE CARILLON

Steinbach Security Services security officer Joseph Desarmenien (left) and company owner Brian Brunelle have been successful in keeping theft down on construction sites in Steinbach, something the city’s mayor says is well worth the cost.

SVJETLANA MLINAREVIC / THE CARILLON
                                Steinbach Security Services security officer Joseph Desarmenien (left) and company owner Brian Brunelle have been successful in keeping theft down on construction sites in Steinbach, something the city’s mayor says is well worth the cost.

‘They are the best team’

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

‘They are the best team’

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:43 PM CST

HALIFAX — Four years ago Tracy Fleury suffered one of the most devastating losses in Canadian curling history.

Playing out of Manitoba at the time and boasting the top-ranked team, Fleury’s final stone rubbed on a guard to allow Jennifer Jones to steal a 6-5 extra-end victory to represent the country at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

The loss has hung over Fleury ever since, but on Saturday afternoon in Halifax, the weight was finally lifted. Fleury and Team Rachel Homan steamrolled Halifax’s Christina Black 12-3 to sweep the 2025 Canadian Curling Trials best-of-three final.

Fleury, who now plays third, fought back tears as she stood beside Homan, second Emma Miskew, and lead Sarah Wilkes in their newly minted Canada jackets and gold medals while the national anthem was sung.

Read
Yesterday at 5:43 PM CST

DARREN CALABRESE / THE CANADIAN PRESS

Team Homan, from left to right, Rachel Homan, Tracy Fleury, Emma Miskew, Sarah Wilkes pose after winning the Canadian Olympic curling trials over Team Black in Halifax on Saturday.

DARREN CALABRESE / THE CANADIAN PRESS
                                Team Homan, from left to right, Rachel Homan, Tracy Fleury, Emma Miskew, Sarah Wilkes pose after winning the Canadian Olympic curling trials over Team Black in Halifax on Saturday.

American booze serving a purpose

Carol Sanders 4 minute read Preview

American booze serving a purpose

Carol Sanders 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CST

Some of the U.S. booze pulled off Liquor Mart shelves last winter was offered to help people struggling with alcohol addiction.

Premier Wab Kinew said Friday that some of the American-made products purchased by Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries valued at $3.4 million, which have been in storage since last February, were offered to managed alcohol programs during last summer’s wildfire evacuations.

The programs, which are administered under medical supervision, assist people experiencing alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

The Crown corporation offered product to Keewatinohk Inniniw Minoayawin, an organization that supports health and wellness services for 23 First Nations in northern Manitoba.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CST

Manitoba liquor stores removed American booze earlier this year in response to U.S. trade policy.

FREE PRESS FILES
                                Empty Manitoba Liquor Mart shelf in February after they pulled U.S. products from store shelves. The Manitoba government is sitting on millions of dollars worth of American booze it paid for then refused to sell after the U.S. threatened to launch a trade war on Canada.

Sex offender hid in school washroom, grabbed student: police

Tyler Searle 7 minute read Preview

Sex offender hid in school washroom, grabbed student: police

Tyler Searle 7 minute read Friday, Nov. 28, 2025

A convicted sex offender is accused of ambushing a child inside a Winnipeg elementary school by hiding in the washroom and grabbing her before she broke free and ran for help.

The Winnipeg Police Service did not name the school nor provide the age and gender of the child on Friday, but parents told the Free Press the incident happened at Darwin School and involved a girl under the age of 10.

WPS said officers were sent to the St. Vital-area school at about 1:30 p.m. Thursday, after receiving reports of the attack. Investigators learned the suspect entered the school and hid inside a stall in a children’s bathroom.

“When a student exited an adjacent stall that they were using, the man grabbed hold of the child. The child fought and managed to break free from the suspect, ran to a teacher and made a report,” WPS Const. Dani McKinnon told reporters Friday.

Read
Friday, Nov. 28, 2025

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES

A stranger was arrested after an incident at Darwin School on Thursday afternoon.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES
                                A stranger was arrested at Darwin School on Thursday afternoon.

The Polish ‘magicians of glass’ who create Christmas baubles for clients worldwide

Radal Niedzielski, The Associated Press 5 minute read Preview

The Polish ‘magicians of glass’ who create Christmas baubles for clients worldwide

Radal Niedzielski, The Associated Press 5 minute read Updated: 9:37 AM CST

CZĘSTOCHOWA, Poland (AP) — If you could design a bauble for your own Christmas tree, what would it be — a teddy bear dressed as a ballerina, a hummingbird, or a crimson phoenix?

The workers at GlitterLab, a company producing Christmas decorations in southern Poland, vow to turn those fantasies into reality.

Calling themselves “the magicians of glass,” their clients have included Swarovski, the French chain Galeries Lafayette, and Harrods, the iconic London department store.

“We have the ability to create shapes and designs that glass will not normally take,” the company promises on its website.

Read
Updated: 9:37 AM CST

A worker prepares a hand-made Christmas bauble at GlitterLab in Czestochowa, southern Poland, on Nov. 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)

A worker prepares a hand-made Christmas bauble at GlitterLab in Czestochowa, southern Poland, on Nov. 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)

Hydro to cut down more than 260 trees on stretch of Selkirk Avenue

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Hydro to cut down more than 260 trees on stretch of Selkirk Avenue

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Friday, Nov. 28, 2025

Manitoba Hydro is cutting down 262 mature trees growing near power lines along a north Winnipeg street, drawing objections from the city and disappointment from canopy advocates.

Read
Friday, Nov. 28, 2025

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Siberian elms along Selkirk Avenue between Keewatin and Railway streets, which Manitoba Hydro plans to cut down due to their proximity to the power lines.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Siberian elms along Selkirk Avenue between Keewatin and Railway streets, which Manitoba Hydro plans to cut down due to  their proximity to the power lines.

More Top News

Passages are published at 6:30am Mon - Sat

▼ Scroll for More ▼

LOAD MORE

Local

LOAD MORE

Sports

LOAD MORE

Arts & Life

LOAD MORE

Opinion

LOAD MORE

Business

LOAD MORE

More News

LOAD MORE